So, such, too, enough


So, such, too, enough


Resultado de imagen para so, such,too,enough

Grammar: So, such, too, enough

Too
Use:
Too means there is a lot of something. It shows a negative opinion
It’s too hot = It is very hot and I don’t like it.
Form:
You can use too before an adjective.
It’s too cold. My trousers are too small.
You can also use it before an adverb,
You walk too fast. James speaks too quietly.
Before a noun, use too much (uncountable nouns) or many (countable nouns).
I ate too much food.
I ate too many sandwiches.
You can also use too much after a verb.
I ate too much.
Paul drinks too much.
Enough
Use:
Enough means you have what you need.
We have enough food for everyone = everyone has some food.
We don’t have enough food for everyone = some people don’t have chairs.
Form:
Write enough before a noun.
We have enough chairs.
But write it after an adjective or verb.
Are you warm enough?  He’s qualified enough. She isn’t tall enough to be a model.

You don’t work hard enough. Are you sleeping enough?
Sentences with enough are sometimes followed by to + verb infinitive.
I’m not tall enough to reach the book.
I haven’t got enough money to buy that coat.
So
Use:
So means very.
It’s so hot!

Form:
So is generally used before an adjective or an adverb.
He’s so funny! He plays the piano so well!
However, in modern English, it is increasingly being used before nouns and verbs.
That dress is so last year! (= That dress is last year’s fashion)
I’m so going to shout at him when I see him! (so = really)
So can be used with a that clause, to show a result of the first clause.
I was so hot that I couldn’t sleep.


Such
Use:
Such also means very. Such is used before an adjective and noun.
They are such nice children.  

Form:
A / an, if necessary, go after such, not before.
That’s a such pretty dress. => That’s such a pretty dress!
Like So, Such can be used with a that clause, to show a result of the first clause.
I was such a nice day that we decided to go to the park.

Common mistakes
1) Some students use too with a positive meaning. But use so or very here
It’s too hot! I love the summer! => It’s so hot! I love the summer!
2) Some students write enough in the wrong place. 
Do we have sugar enough? => Do we have enough sugar?
3) Some students use so / such…that incorrectly. 
It was so hot that the sun was shining.
This sentence is not correct because ‘the sun was shining’ is not a direct result of ‘It

Too and Enough :

Resultado de imagen para so, such,too,enough
Too and Enough are used with adjectives and indicate degree. Here we have provide you the different usages of Too and Enough, So and Such.


1. 
To + adjective / adverbA. Too means ‘more is necessary or desirable.’

Ex: This jumper’s too big. Can I try a smaller size?
2. Too much / Too many (+ noun)
Ex: I can’t eat this. There is too much salt in it.
Ex: There are too many people here. Let’s go outside.
3. Too + adverb / adjective (+ for + object) + infinitive
Ex: It’s too cold to play tennis today.
Ex: He spoke too quickly for me to understand him.

B. Enough means ‘as much as is necessary’

1. Adjective / Adverb + enough
Ex: Are you warm enough or shall I turn the heating on?
2. Enough + noun
Ex: We’ll have to stand because there aren’t enough chairs.
3. Enough (+ for + object) + infinitive with to
Ex: I haven’t got enough time to see you today.

So and such

Resultado de imagen para so, such,too,enough
These ‘intensifiers’ are used to give emphasis.

A. So is used before:

1. adjectives and adverbs without nouns.
Ex: I’m so tired. I’ll have to go to bed.
2. much, many, little, few
Ex: You shouldn’t eat so much, Jack.

B. Such is used with or without an adjective before:

1. singular countable nouns ( the indefinite article a/an is also needed).
Ex: She’s got such a wonderful voice.
2. uncountable nouns and plural countable nouns (the article is not needed).
Ex: Our neighbors are such friendly people.

C. So and such can both be used with a that clause to talk about the results or  consequences.

Ex: It was such a boring place that we decided to leave.
Ex: It was raining so hard we had to stop the car.

Comentarios

Entradas populares